Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Bordeaux's architecture

The city of Bordeaux has got to be one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. It's hard to believe that some of these buildings are almost 1000 years old...The Saint André Cathedral shown in the picture was consecrated in 1096. Many of these buildings look like they had tar thrown on them...but even when they're grimy they ironically still manage to look pristine.

The second shot was taken from the corner of the façade of the Saint André Cathedral showing the Hôtel de Ville (City Hall) all the way in the back. This is basically the city center so there are always different events going on here on weekends. This past weekend the WWF had an art display of 1600 pandas to represent the 1600 pandas left in the world. They nearly covered the entire plaza. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera that day :( and Little Booboo Bear would have also liked to have seen his fellow bears. This weekend though we will be moving in with our French families so he won't have to be locked in that dirty dorm anymore... About the University of Bordeaux...it's hideous and unworthy of any pictures...Maybe I will do an entry later comparing it's ugliness to the beauty of the actual city of Bordeaux (the university is in the city of Pessac).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take a picture of that unworthy building! You should just do it, so that we can all nod and agree with you. :)
The pictures that you took are absolutely beautiful. I can't believe how magical Bordeaux looks to me. I wish I was there with you and I'm sorry it's taken so long to put entries into your blogs. However, I'm catching up. You really are a lucky chap.