Monday, September 8, 2008

La Dune du Pyla

La Dune du Pyla is the largest dune in Europe (and it was huge...who would've known Europe had such immense sand dunes?). It's located at the Bassin d'Arcachon, which is about an hour southwest of Bordeaux. It's been 8 days already since we went and I still can't get over how majestic it was...the Landes forest in the background extends for as far as you can see....and it was for the most part a clear day that Sunday when we went.

That's me on the right standing up...we all look pretty tiny and yet the dune was way bigger than the photos could capture. You seriously need a panaromic camera to capture the size of the dune. Then we also look very happy and victorious in the picture but that thing is hard to climb...it's definitely a good workout. The sand was also surprisingly very clean (which shows pretty well in the shots). In sum, La Dune du Pyla was pretty spectacular and nothing like I had ever seen before or had even been able to imagine. So yes, if you're not a UC student here you should be very jealous right now that I got to see it! Oh and another thing, Little Booboo Bear didn't want to go because he doesn't like getting dirty, but he did have fun wine tasting (which was after the excursion to the dune).

3 comments:

JESSICA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JESSICA said...

That image of the sand with the vegetation all around it is so cool. I am going to look it up on the map. Seems so random to have a sand dune there although I looked it up on google earth and it looks so cool with the sand off the coast there too. I am happy that you love the city so much! I will be keeping up with your adventures as long as yu keep up the writing!

Anonymous said...

Alex I've missed so much. I'm going to have to check on your blogspot every week. I didn't know you were doing so much. I miss you and love ya very much.